III. Work with a different partner.Design the ideal world for the future. Imagine that there are no limits to what you can do, Then share your "new world" with the class.Be creative!
MOVIE SEGMENT DOWNLOAD - TOMORROWLAND
● Extreme self awareness – suddenly you forget how to act 'naturally'
● You limit movements and gestures
● You reduce eye contact
● You turn aside or away from the intruder
● You immediately take a step back or get away from the intruder
● You adopt a defensive position – folded arms, less smiles, tense posture
● You stop the conversation entirely
It's important to understand the personal space requirements of a different culture, so that you're not perceived as rude (by standing too far away) or pushy (by standing too close).
Personal space also includes touching. In Mediterranean and South American cultures, touching is an important part of conversation and connecting. If you don't touch others, you'll be considered cold. However, in Eastern countries, touching is often considered taboo, and you'll offend your colleagues if you pat them on the back or touch their arm.
II. Read the information below and decide if you agree with them and why.
According to the site above, all of them are true, and I definetly agree with them.
III. Watch the movie segment and discuss with your friends:
1. Where is the couple from?
2. Why were they so worried about who could seat next to them?
3. Who was more worried? The man or the woman? How do you know?
4. How did they react when they felt their personal space invaded?
5. How did the "intruders" react?
6. How would you have reacted?
7. How would someone from your country react in that situation? Would their reaction be the same as yours or the couple's?
8. Have you ever traveled with someone that invaded your personal space? Share your stories.